Senior Engineering Manager - Infrastructure
Leap is building the world's largest network of branded retail stores – powered by data, systems and scale. The Leap Platform enables brands to deploy stores that work in concert with ecommerce more rapidly and at significantly reduced cost and risk. Brand stores powered by Leap bring modern brands to life with compelling, immersive customer experience and data driven operations. At Leap, our diverse, growing team is excited by the opportunity to power the next generation of leading consumer brands with a vibrant presence in local communities throughout the country. We're one of the fastest growing companies in the retail/ecommerce space - since launch we've powered stores for dozens of brands, and we're adding more brands and stores each week.
Our brand customers are modern brands who lead or aspire to lead their categories today and tomorrow, and *outstanding* people are literally at the core of our product. Our organization is composed of a diverse range of talented individuals and teams. With functions like Real Estate, Store Design & Development, Retail Operations, Marketing, Engineering, Product Management and Data Science, we're a truly unique company and our shared ambitions and core values tightly align and drive us to succeed.
Our staff are what make our organization so special and honoring our culture and values as we hire, onboard, engage, develop and support our teams is paramount.
Come take this leap with us. Your ideas, thinking, and voice are wanted.
Mission for the position
As engineering manager for infrastucture, you’ll be a manager, teammate, and leader to the software developers who report to you. You’ll provide 1:1s, technical direction, and you’ll participate in coding-related work. Since we’re a small team, this includes architecture and code, but your real mission is to build a great team and provide professional leadership to them.
You'll work closely with product and fellow engineering leaders to architect and execute the Leap platform. As an software engineering domain expert, your role will be to collaborate with product, engineering, and analytics teams to identify our opportunities to create value for brands and/or for our internal teams. You’ll hire software engineers to accomplish these goals, devise technical plans, and act as a teammate to your reports, participating in the development of our software platform.
What you'll do:
- Hire and manage a world-class team of software engineers
- Develop real-world solutions to practical challenges
- Develop and manage our infrastructure's SLIs and SLOs
- Collaborate with our product development teams to determine scaling and infrastructure needs for new platform capabilities
- Have fun and work with a scrappy, optimistic, energetic startup team
- Use state-of-the-art technology and programming tools
- Collaborate on the roll-out of internal workflows and procedures, prioritizing automation
- Be encouraging, supportive, kind, fun, sensitive, honest, a great teacher, and above all, a great student
- Significant programming experience writing code in Python/Ruby or similar language
- Experience working among product management and product development teams
- Experience with infrastructure related projects and building out teams and scalability
- Familiarity with Docker, Kubernetes
- Experience working under clear product/operational priorities
- A deep commitment to testing and automation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Curiosity, energy, and a sense of humor
In your first month, you'll:
- Go to our stores, ask questions, try on products, buy products, return products, and experience being a customer first-hand
- Participate in scoping and design sessions for our technology platform
- Onboard as an engineer and learn our stack
- Communicate constantly with an encouraging, supportive team
Your success will be measured by:
- As a leader, your ability to influence and guide people throughout the company (in technology and beyond)
- As a manager, your ability to hire and grow your team and reports
However you identify, whatever your path to get here; Leap celebrates diversity and is committed to maintaining a safe, rewarding and inclusive environment where Leapers thrive individually and as a team.
In order to achieve our mission, building the world's largest network of branded retail stores – powered by data, systems and scale; we need to work hard to foster a diverse community to support the brands and customers we serve. These aren't just words, this is who we are. We know that our differences are what make our organization special and are paramount to our culture. Your age, skin color, beliefs, sexual orientation, nationality, disability, parental status, vet status, gender identity are valued.