Leap is a new company that is pioneering a fresh way of doing traditional brick and mortar by offering emerging brands the opportunity to open stores via Leap’s retail-as-a-service platform. The Leap Platform allows brands to focus on their e-commerce business while Leap handles all things retail for them from the lease, the staffing, to all things operational. By doing this, brands are able to expand their footprint and brand awareness exponentially while incurring little risk venturing into the new aspect of their business. Having worked with 12 brands since being founded in 2018, Leap is continuing to expand into new markets and adding more top tier talent to our team.
About the role:
The Manager, Real Estate is an internal real estate strategist and dealmaker for Leap, working across brands and store locations on the platform to enable, grow and help manage the business. In this role, reporting to the Director of Real Estate, you will develop a deep understanding of local markets, create and drive strategic plans with respect to Leap's overall business objectives and other strategic considerations; identify appropriate sites and store locations, and project manage the deal making process end to end from negotiation to lease execution, and post-deal proactive footprint management.
- Manage specific territories and markets from broker management through lease/license negotiation and portfolio management.
- Site selection: Develop, coordinate and conduct strategic market, portfolio and location footprint reviews with internal stakeholders, drive exploratory discussions and analysis with external stakeholders including brokers, landlords and advisors (from the retailer and development community to identify and vet priority target store locations and other strategic initiatives.
- Evaluate and negotiate new store locations / deals using Leap’s deal structure guidelines, via brokers and via direct engagement with landlords in prioritized target market(s).
- Communicate & manage expectations consistently with Business Development, Design & Construction, Brand and Retail Operations teams to keep them abreast of new locations, capex requirements, timelines and potential challenges.
- Work with Business Development team to assess demand and assist in brand specific real estate strategies from specific locations to multi store rollouts.
- Proactively project manage location deal/development process to ensure timely execution of leases, licenses/operating agreements and location possession to enable successful footprint expansion and growth of the business, leveraging Leap proprietary analytics and third-party data to inform decision making.
- Work with real estate counsel (internal and outside attorneys) to ensure store location legal agreements e.g. lease and license documents, work letters and ancillary documentation accurately reflect all deal terms and minimize risk and costs to Leap.
- Present strategic plans and store location deals to our Real Estate Committee for approval, including comp analysis, ensuring accuracy of possession and openings; and ensure relevant data/information is shared throughout the Leap organization through relevant tracking systems and reporting tools
- Network with retail real estate industry peers, landlords, other specialty retailers, and industry/trade associations to educate them about the Leap Platform and stay informed of business and industry trends as a member at large of Leap's Real Estate organization
Our ideal candidate has:
- Demonstrable track record of success in working to develop and managing the location portfolio of a growing retail brand 3-5 years of experience in the retail real estate industry on either the tenant / retailer, landlord / owner, developer, or brokerage side of the business. Creative deal making
- Strong business acumen
- Strong communication and negotiating skills
- Strong business relationship building skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details
- Ability to build consensus while driving workflow forward decisively
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial startup environment
- Ability to travel by car or plane to meet with industry partners and peers as needed.
- Travel will be intermittent but may be as high as 50% at times
Outcomes & measures of success:
- Successful development and management of store location footprint (deal flow generation and execution)
- Successful collaboration with peers/stakeholders throughout the organization
- Contribution to the development of a team-oriented high-performance culture within the company
Thank you for your interest in this opportunity! Unfortunately, due to the high volume of inquiries received, we are not able to respond to all applicants.