VP of Engineering
Leap is building the world's largest network of branded retail stores – powered by data, systems, and scale. The Leap Platform enables brands to deploy stores that work in concert with ecommerce more rapidly and at significantly reduced cost and risk. Brand stores powered by Leap bring modern brands to life with compelling, immersive customer experience and data driven operations. At Leap, our diverse, growing team is excited by the opportunity to power the next generation of leading consumer brands with a vibrant presence in local communities throughout the country. We're one of the fastest growing companies in the retail/ecommerce space - since launch we've powered stores for dozens of brands, and we're adding more brands and stores each week.
Our brand customers are modern brands who lead or aspire to lead their categories today and tomorrow, and *outstanding* people are literally at the core of our product. Our organization is composed of a diverse range of talented individuals and teams. With functions like Real Estate, Store Design & Development, Retail Operations, Marketing, Engineering, Product Management and Data Science, we're a truly unique company and our shared ambitions and core values tightly align and drive us to succeed.
Our staff are what make our organization so special and honoring our culture and values as we hire, onboard, engage, develop and support our teams is paramount.
Come take this leap with us. Your ideas, thinking, and voice are wanted.
Mission for the position:
As an engineering leader and senior leader of the function, you’ll build and manage our core engineering teams. You’ll bring world-class expertise, practices, and tools to an already high-caliber team. You’ll help define and promulgate high standards and expectations for our software engineers, infrastructure engineers, and other members of our technical staff. And you’ll work closely with your own team of fellow executives to steer and manage our enterprise as a whole.
In this role, you have the technical expertise to collaborate and direct software engineering initiatives. Your principal responsibility, however, is to hire, manage, and set up the engineering organization for success at a senior leadership level. You’ll drive the delivery of our product development and will coordinate across departments on a day-to-day basis.
- Hire and cultivate a growing team of engineers across software, test, and infrastructure
- Build and strengthen our engineering management practices
- Drive goals and OKRs on a quarterly basis
- Define and communicate an engineering vision for the next several quarters of development
- Define and implement the software development lifecycle
- Be encouraging, supportive, kind, fun, sensitive, honest, a great teacher, and above all, a great student
Competencies for Success:
- 10 years+ full-time engineering work experience
- Experience hiring and managing engineering managers and and directors
- Experience with modern cloud computing deployment strategies
- Experience with modern ML frameworks and deployment frameworks
- Deep expertise in conventional software development processes, like environment promotion, version control, and automated testing
- Almost compulsive need to organize and clarify
- Humility and high aptitude for learning and self-improvement
- High level of comfort working along a dynamic and evolving roadmap
- Innately curious, wants to understand all parts of Leap’s business, encourages innovation and creative problem solving with others
Outcomes & measures of success:
- Building out a functionally complete engineering organization, including hiring goals
- Accountability to department level SLOs and OKRs
- The continuous delivery of high visibility capabilities and superpowers for our platform
However you identify, whatever your path to get here; Leap celebrates diversity and is committed to maintaining a safe, rewarding and inclusive environment where Leapers thrive individually and as a team.
In order to achieve our mission, building the world's largest network of branded retail stores – powered by data, systems and scale; we need to work hard to foster a diverse community to support the brands and customers we serve. These aren't just words, this is who we are. We know that our differences are what make our organization special and are paramount to our culture. Your age, skin color, beliefs, sexual orientation, nationality, disability, parental status, vet status, gender identity are valued.